Rep Uzokwe Gives Account of Stewardship in Office
Rep. Uzokwe Gives Account of Stewardship in Office
From Seun Miracle
The member representing Nnewi North, Nnewi South, and Ekwusigo Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Hon. Peter Uzokwe, on Tuesday briefed journalists on some of his achievements.
Hon. Uzokwe recalled that he sponsored three bills shortly after fatal accidents rocked Nnewi, Ozubulu, and Amichi.
He said one of the bills proposes that truck drivers undergo random drug tests every six months to help curb carnage on Nigerian roads.
“Another initiative is that I brought the National Automotive Initiative to Nnewi in partnership with Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing. I discovered that many manual jobs which Nigerians, and my constituents in particular, can handle with proper training are currently being done by Chinese and other foreign nationals,” he said.
“By the time this bill becomes operational, Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing is expected to earn up to one billion naira annually from the training component of the scheme,” Hon. Uzokwe added.
“I am also a member of the House Committee on Correctional Services. During a visit to the Aba Correctional Center, I observed that inmates in the last year of their jail term are engaged in productive work. I was impressed by their output.
“They produce clothes and shoes that can effectively compete with imported goods. I have therefore sponsored a bill to replicate this model in all correctional centers across Nigeria. It will start with the Nnewi Correctional Center, which I plan to upgrade to the highest standard,” he said.
Hon. Uzokwe, who will be contesting under the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) in the 2027 House of Representatives election, also disclosed that he has acquired a building in Ozubulu, Ekwusigo LGA, to be converted into a Skill Acquisition Center. Young men and women in the constituency will be trained in various trades there.
“As a matter of fact, I have concluded arrangements to engage ten trainers from Aba to train beneficiaries from my constituency. This is in line with my philosophy that it is better to teach the youth how to fish than to give them fish,” he said.
“I am also flooding my constituency with solar streetlights. The importance of this project cannot be overemphasized. In addition, I have assisted three thousand persons to access treatment for various ailments through my Health Improvement Initiative.
“Three thousand patients were operated on after diagnosis. Some received free eyeglasses after surgery, while others had fibroids removed. Interestingly, non-indigenes also benefited from the initiative.
“After discovering that many of my constituents had high blood pressure issues, I purchased 440 BP monitoring kits and distributed them evenly across the 42 wards in my constituency.
“Under my Food on the Table Initiative, I partnered with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to give 6,000 families a bag of rice each. I have also been paying school fees for indigent students and I am currently constructing three classroom blocks in Ukpor, Nnewi South LGA,” he said.
The NDC candidate for Nnewi North, Nnewi South, and Ekwusigo Federal Constituency in the next House of Representatives election declared that he has achieved a lot for his constituents in barely two years in office.
Comments
Post a Comment